All Healthcare Professionals, Physicians, Residents
Available for team bookings:
CPD Credits Earned
College of Family Physicians of Canada: Earn up to 18 Mainpro+ credits
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada: Earn up to 18.0 MOC credits in total
Fédération des médecins omnipraticiens du Québec: 6 heures de formation reconnues
About Communicating Unexpected Outcomes for Clinicians
This online course is designed to improve transparency with patients and families after unexpected clinical outcomes, including those resulting from errors in care. The program will enhance the communication skills of individual providers, healthcare teams and organizations for disclosing clinical errors with honesty, empathy and respect. Participants will also learn to improve their support of other team members in these often-difficult circumstances.
Strengths of the Program
- Improved transparency and communications
- Enhanced communication skills
- Effective support for team members faced with these circumstances
- The importance of timely and compassionate disclosure
- Individual, team and organization accountability and support
- Patient-centered disclosure
This course is a prerequisite to Communicating Unexpected Outcomes for Leaders.
Four hours – 2 two-hour sessions
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the professional accountabilities of individual healthcare providers, healthcare interprofessional teams, and organizations for disclosure communications
- Recognize the importance of communicating factual information on what has happened, including what is being done to prevent further occurrences.
- State the importance of genuine apology, and how to appropriately apologize
- Describe when and how to plan for initial disclosure as an interprofessional team and safely discuss a clinical error in an empathic and just way.
- Demonstrate ways to effectively disclose unexpected clinical outcomes, to patients and family members, using the 3 needs and follow up model.
For more information or to book this course, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-833-435-9979.
College of Family Physicians of Canada
Earn up to 18 Mainpro+ credits
This 3-credit-per-hour Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 18 Mainpro+ credits.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Earn up to 18 MOC credits in total
This activity is an Accredited Simulation Activity (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the CMPA. You may claim a maximum of 6 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
Fédération des médecins omnipraticiens du Québec
Ce programme se qualifie pour une demande d’accréditation à la FMOQ pour 6 heures de formation reconnues.
This program was co-developed with the CMPA and was planned to achieve scientific integrity, objectivity and balance.
General Questions or Inquiries
Please contact us with your questions or inquiries. We will respond within 2 business days.