All Healthcare Professionals, Healthcare Teams, Physicians, Residents
Available for team bookings:
Available for individuals:
Cost for Individual Registration
- We’re sorry, no sessions for individual registration are currently scheduled
CPD Credits Earned
Successful Patient Interactions – Online
The Successful Patient Interactions program helps physicians and other healthcare providers communicate more effectively with their patients.
The workshop-style program was developed based on research of key issues and challenges facing Canadian physicians and healthcare professionals during patient interactions.
In addition to improving communication skills, the program is designed to increase work satisfaction and reduce risk for the long term.
Strengths of the Program
- Provides practical models and tools for more effective communication with the patient
- Developed in partnership with the CMPA, leveraging the association’s knowledge and understanding of physicians’ needs and healthcare safety issues.
- Includes development of a clear and actionable plan to improve reciprocal partnerships with patients
- Skills-based and evidence-based
- Taught by experienced faculty
- Why communication skills matter
- Managing your medico-legal risk
- Optimizing the consultation and workplace
- From patient centered communication to a reciprocal partnership built on trust
- Patient interaction model “G.I.V.IN.G”
- What’s in it for the healthcare worker
- A plan for change
Seven hours plus pre-work and homework between sessions. The three 2-hour online sessions and one 1-hour session are delivered over the course of four weeks.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how they can reduce the risk of medico-legal issue by encouraging and supporting the contributions of patients as valued partners of the healthcare team.
- Describe elements of patient-centered communication that are crucial for building partnerships with patients.
- Develop and integrate new personal strategies to mitigate potential communications barriers in the patient partnership.
- Utilize simultaneously active listening and check-back skills, by exploring, adapting and practicing elements of these tools at each one of the 5 steps of the G.I.V.IN.G model.
- Plan a patient-centered interaction by employing the 5 steps of the G.I.V.IN.G model
- Consciously appraise the global well-being of a patient by exploring all aspects of health as defined by the WHO (World Health Organization) at each step of the G.I.V.IN.G patient interaction model.
- Augment a repertoire of strategies to prevent communication breakdown by adapting, practicing, and utilizing 1 to 3 verbal or non-verbal alternative prompts for each of the 5 steps of the G.I.V.IN.G model.
- Initiate the integration of the above skills by preparing and discussing a personal action plan based on the BJ Fogg Behavior Model
- An internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam or HD webcam – built-in or USB plug-in
- Or, an HD cam or HD camcorder with video capture card
- For more information on system requirements please visit: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-Mac-and-Linux
General Questions or Inquiries
Please contact us with your questions or inquiries. We will respond within 2 business days.