Just Culture in Healthcare Certification Course
The Just Culture in Healthcare Certification Course is an intensive two-day program. The program has helped many organizations and healthcare institutions develop a more open and just culture. Saegis offers this program in partnership with Outcome Engenuity, the company that developed the Just Culture model. The program is offered as an open enrollment session for individual physicians and healthcare professionals. Click here to register. It can also be offered on-site at a hospital, clinic or institution.
Participants will learn how to use the Just Culture Algorithm™ - a tool grounded in systems engineering, human factors and law. Leaders can use this tool to reinforce behaviour that improves systems and reduces negative outcomes, with the goal of improving patient safety.
The program consists of 2.5 hours of pre-work, a 2-day in-person certification course, a 1.5 hour online certification exam and ongoing opportunities to learn through a range of online resources.
We also offer more customized, on-site programs for healthcare leaders and teams.
"I can state unequivocally that the Just Culture work we have performed with Outcome Engenuity on improving our learning culture has been transformative." - Alan Forster, Vice President, Quality, Performance & Population Health, The Ottawa Hospital
This program is for: departmental leaders / directors / managers within healthcare institutions, including those involved in human resources.
Benefits of the Program:
- Reduce adverse events
- Improve systems
- Improve operational reliability
- Improve team morale
Materials Provided Include:
- The Just Culture Algorithm™ v4.0
- Two-Year Subscription to the online Just Culture Assessment Tool
Topics to be Covered
- The history of our social trend toward a more punitive, yet unaccountable culture.
- The notions of duty, breach, and consequence as applied to inescapably fallible human beings.
- The scientific, legal, and social basis for a more just culture.
- The design of the Just Culture Algorithm™.
- How to become a role model, mentor, and coach to your employees.
Upon completion of the Just Culture Certification Course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the impact of accountability and justice in a learning culture.
- Identify the role of an organization’s mission and values in building a just culture.
- Explain and be able to mitigate judgement biases.
- Identify three system strategies to manage risk.
- Manage five core behaviours affecting risk.
- Perform a causal evaluation of an event.
- Utilize the Just Culture Algorithm™ .
- Explore how to implement a just culture.
Duration: 2.5 hours pre-work, plus 2-day in-person course and 1.5 hour online proficiency exam
Cost (open enrollment sessions): $1,600 per participant
In addition to the Just Culture in Healthcare Certification Course, Saegis can offer a more comprehensive, on-site Just Culture program that specifically meets your organization’s needs.